The Confession: Part 3

11:08:00 AM


Mr Maxwell stood lifeless facing the large window in his office
I entered still looking mournful.
There was a long silence and my heartbeat was unstable. I was really nervous.


"Miss Igwe" he called in a surprisingly calm tone
Mr Maxwell was certainly known to be a man of action. He indeed was.
"A report has reached us from your classmate and..." He turned around. 


I was looking at the table.
There was nothing fascinating about the table. It was just a table with files on it. I couldn't look up!
"and from the evidence I saw this morning I have to say it has some element of truth. What do you have to say?"


"No-o"
 I panicked 


''I have to say I was disappointed in you...not until.."
There was another silence.
I looked up, he pointed at the top corner of his room.
"Ha-a"
There was a camera
"I-I never knew..."
"That was there?" He cut in
"Ye-es" 

I soon learnt, it was newly fixed and for the past semesters, Mr Maxwell had used many means to unravel the mystery behind changed grades but had failed. He knew something was wrong somewhere. This was the closest he had ever been trying to solve the case, and he definitely wasn't going to back off anytime.

"I believe there is more to this story...or should I say, an entirely different story than what Miss Fatoke portrays it to be." 
Miss Fatoke. He was referring to Bukky
I nodded, still in disbelief of the entire situation.

Before I left Mr Maxwell's office, I got a clearer picture of what had gone down. Bukky had rushed up to Mr. Maxwell's office earlier to play 'the victim card'. She turned the entire story around to suit her reputation. The only truth in her story was our presence in Mr. Maxwell's office.


Shockingly, I wasn't the only one she tried to sabotage. She enlisted Jeremy too and a few others.
She couldn't have been aware of the camera, just like myself earlier.
Even without the audio, a good picture of what really took place the previous night was clearly displayed.

Mr Maxwell relied on me to tell the complete truth of what went down the previous night. Most lectures were suspended.
He made a quick call to Sophia.
Sophia happened to be the head of our College Press Club. She was a masters student.

Mr. Maxwell led me to another office down the hallway. It was very much larger than his.

I saw Jeremy in that same office. He and most of the other members of the previous night were there. They seemed to be answering a few questions.
Bukky soon came in with another lecturer.

The office had almost every lecturer in our faculty, Sophia, Bukky, Jeremy and others.
Mr Maxwell played the footage, and I noticed Bukky feeling very restless. She was so disturbed and perplexed too.


Of course, she couldn't narrate her previous tale. It wasn't the complete truth.
I was asked to step forward and tell the story from the very beginning.

From the very beginning...

______
Part 1 here
Part 2 here

You Might Also Like

0 comments

You know I'd love to hear from you. Please comment. Mwah

Footer