#10DBC: Finding Your Focus

6:13:00 PM


So many times we discourage ourselves because of our present situation and mindset. Aside from the already numerous negative energy from outside ("friends", "families", naysayers), we make things worse by succumbing to the negative forces and accept defeat. We belittle ourselves and limit our potentials.

I remember when I started, I had nothing but my skills. I didn't want to put myself out there because of fear of negative comments or because I won't get clients. I tried telling a few people to make their hair with me but generally, I was mum with major advertisement for Hair by Dedun. As time went by, I realized I enjoyed what I was doing and I decided to put my focus on the skill. I started yearning for more clients and at the same time looking for ways to improve so in turn more clients will come. Thankfully, a few loyal clients allowed me to practice on them and that turned out amazing by the way. If not for their trust, I wouldn't have pushed harder to make sure I don't lose focus on what I loved doing. The fear of negative comments was my first challenge as an entrepreneur. This fear makes you lose focus on what you had your eyes on from the start whether it's your dream job, life etc. You forget that what you have within is greater than what is/coming from outside, in return give up and live non-chalant and unbothered about your previous goal.

My second challenge was the fear of failure. Life got so busy for me when I added Dedun's Cakes to my list of businesses. I was scared I would repeat and fail exams. I was scared I would have to make a disappointing call to my family to tell them how they have to look for extra year tuition because their daughter decided to be superwoman and mix business with Medical School. You know what I did? I decided to turn that negative thought into something positive by always reminding myself that I have to make sure I never make that gruesome call. I used that thought to find my focus in Medicine and told myself "by 2016, I will be done with Medical School come rain or sunshine". So any day I find it hard to study because I just spent hours in the kitchen baking or cooking away, I find strength in my end goal, my focal point, and push harder. It cost me sleeping time, fun time but I had to pay the price because I wanted to achieve my two goals of business success and Medical degree by 2016.

I won't lie to you and tell you I never thought of quitting. In fact, I almost quit Dedun's Cakes less than a year into it. That was how tedious and draining the beginning years were. It was a new territory, I had no mentor or even someone that had done it before me to call. I felt I was alone and nobody really understood my struggle combining both businesses with school. This feeling was also one of the things that almost made me lose my focus.

How do you find your focus? By having a set plan ahead of time. Write it down if need be so you can revisit when you are struggling. Do you plan to have an established life at a particular age? Plan it out and remind yourself, when things get tough on the road to the life you want, that the plan must succeed. Your mindset should be ready to go through all the different euphoric and disappointing phases that would come along. Do you want to start a business but no money? Research on businesses you can start without money, yes there are loads out there. Submit yourself to a period of learning prior to you starting one. If money is a must before you can start one, start saving any little you can in a day. It will definitely add up. If I had the mindset of "Whatever comes, I will accept it like that", then I wouldn't have finished Medical school this year or even worse, I would have given up and moved back to Nigeria to start a business. After all, they said we go to school so we can make money with the degree. Might as well leave school and make money with the business I already started but no, I had a 'can-do' spirit and it brought me here. If you are finding it hard to study, remind yourself that failure is not an option and this will drive you to look for many ways you can study efficiently.

I'm saying all these because when you find your focus, you have no choice but to preserver, find strength and motivation in your focal point. Put your eyes on the goal and march on without turning your heads to the side. Don't focus on the negativity around you but stay true to you and your goal. If it's money holding you back, you would definitely find every means necessary to make way for yourself because you are assured of what you want at the end of the journey. Don't use your present situation to give your future a death sentence. Many mountains and hurdles will come your way but never lose your focus! 

Love,
Dedun

______
I'm sure you are rejoicing that I'm writing a second post for today. That is because I signed up for a Freedom Blog challenge by The Suitcase Entrepreneur. This blog post is in response to Natalie’s 10 Day Freedom Plan Blog Challenge Day 1 .For the next 10 days I will post twice on the blog. Wish me luck :) 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

You know I'd love to hear from you. Please comment. Mwah

Footer