Unfold: Confusion

11:59:00 AM


 The next morning as we dropped Ade in school, my husband and I decided to visit the principal since we couldn't get through to her via phone.

Principal: Good Morning Mr&Mrs Banwo. My secretary mentioned the meeting was urgent. How may I help you?

Baba Ade: Good morning. We tried calling you yesterday but your numbers didn't go through. It is concerning our daughter, Ade in JS3.

Principal: Yes, I know her. Is she okay?

Baba Ade: She made some allegations against one Tolu in SS3.  Long story short, he almost raped her on Saturday and even bullied her yesterday. What arrant nonsense? 

Principal: What? Which of the Tolus? Let me send for your daughter.  
(To Secretary) Ms Vivian, please call Ade Banwo in JS3B for me immediately. 

Ade: Yes ma, I'm here.

Principal: Your parents just told me a Tolu in SS3 tried to rape you? Is that true?

Mama Ade: What do you mean by is it true? Are we lying?

Baba Ade: Woman, shut up and let's solve this matter. 

Principal: Sorry Mrs Banwo, I didn't mean it like that. So Ade, tell me what happened.

Ade narrated the story for the umpteenth time.

Principal: Wow Tolu Beckley? I can't believe this. His father is a prominent pastor in this town. Ade you should have reported to a teacher first before going to your parents. 
Ms Vivian, Call Tolu Beckley for me from the assembly. He's in SS3. 

Tolu: Good Morning Ma. (Tolu sights Ade and her parents)

(Mrs Banwo shamelessly eyeing Tolu at this point)

Mama Ade: So you are the useless boy that wants to kill my daughter for me?

Principal: Sorry ma let's not attack him before we hear his story.

Mama Ade: His story? Okay now.

Principal: Tolu what did you do to Ade on Saturday on her home from school?

Tolu: Nothing ma

Mama Ade: Nothing ke? Se omo yi gbadun bayi?

Baba Ade: Mama Ade calm down now. Let's hear him talk. 

Principal: So what happened Tolu?

Tolu: Ma, after the classes on Saturday, Ade was the only one left when I was about to leave. So I offered to walk her home. I've never spoken to her before Saturday. On our way, we struck a conversation and she went further to mention she liked me. I just laughed and told her she was still a small girl and when she gets to SS2, she can think of liking a boy. When we got to an area that didn't have much people, Ade said we should sit and gist before she gets home because she doesn't have anybody to talk to at home. So we sat and gisted about movies for almost an hour. When I noticed it was getting late, I urged her to let us continue the walk. It was at this point she told me to kiss her. She said she wanted to know how it felt. Honestly ma, I kissed her and I broke it off when I realized I shouldn't have. She became angry and told me to leave her alone, she'll find her way home herself. I told her she didn't know this route we took that I will still walk her home. She now screamed ma, I was scared of her scream, that was when I left her there. Yesterday was when I saw her again and I told her to kneel down only because she was late to the assembly hall. That was what happened ma. I didn't do anything to her. 

Mama Ade: Ah Tolu, are you telling me my daughter lied? Who's your father? He needs to be here to see the liar of a child you are. You tried to rape my daughter and you are here with a concocted story. Ade, is he not lying?

Ade: Yes mummy, he's lying.

(Prncipal confused at this point)

Principal: Mr and Mrs Banwo, I promise I will get to the bottom of this. I'm sorry for this confusion. The assembly time is almost over now, I need to address the school. Tolu and Ade, come and see me during the long break.

___
To be continued next week :) Do you have any idea who lied? Tolu or Ade? You can find the Part 1 here

Translations
Se omo yi gbadun bayi - Is this child okay?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

You know I'd love to hear from you. Please comment. Mwah

Footer