Secular Music or Nah?

1:11:00 PM


Let me plead with you guys today. Please comment, I'm begging. I'm trying to make this blog an interactive blog but y'all are just ghost readers. I actually want to know what you think about this topic and your best advice. If my begging doesn't help, I will just start talking to myself, not like I don't do that already sef. Anyway, yesterday I was listening to Tye Tribbett's  Stand Out song. It's an old song I really liked in those days and just stumbled on it again. After listening, I scrolled down to the comments and someone said they didn't understand why God will be displeased with a Christian listening to R&B and Hiphop. The lyrics was
"How are you a praise leader but you listen to R&B, hiphop is on your ringtone. I'm trying to tell you God aint pleased"

Obviously we already know that secular music turning women to sex idols, rapping about illicit drugs and all that jazz are not what someone who worships God should listen to. I'm sure some of you are as guilty as I am when it comes to giving the excuse "I just like the beat". I've come to realize that, we can be lured in by any means necessary. If it's just the beat you are listening to, overtime your subconscious will have the complete lyrics imprinted in your memory.

Back to the lyrics, this is my take on it. Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of Adekunle Gold or Anthony Hamilton, but I feel if the lyrics is not against your faith, it won't hurt your spirit. Yes I know they are not edifying God but at the same time, they are not destroying Him. So let's just say they are on the neutral with no harm in sight. These two artists I mentioned are story tellers through their music and it's most times about life, not some stupid money they have or cars or the girls they want to sleep with etc.

One thing is for certain, when the 'good' secular music begins to take the place of praise to God, then we have a problem. You should be able to prioritize and on that list should be God first. That brings me to the end of this post. Very short ba? LOL. So am I sinning by listening to the 'good' secular songs? Oh that's true. Movies too. I mean them Marvel movies, Naija movies aren't worshipping God either but we still watch them regardless. Are we sinning? We are all in the circle o.

Is God really displeased with us because Kirk franklin's song is not our ringtone? Or is the choir master piling up his sins by listening to Beyonce's 'I was here' . Waiting for your take on the topic.

Love,
Dedun

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Not sure what I think just wanted to comment ���������� I agree

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, when you check meaning of secular, it means not associated with religion, but then again being a Christian should not be a religion. Jesus was not religious! He was persecuted by the religious.

    One verse that comes to mind is "whatsoever you are doing, do it as onto God" so it boils down to your relationship with God, the Holy Spirit. Between just the two of you, is it okay? forget about people and the church, what is He saying to you personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just want to add that Yes I am a Christian and really some supposedly christian songs are not biblical at all, like where do these people come from? so it all boils down to you and your God!

      Delete
    2. yes I totally agree that it's between you and God just like how every other is. If deep down, your spirit doesn't agree with a song/ movie/series despite the neutral content, then it's better one stops listening/watching them.

      Delete
  3. hmmmm.... i am happy someone has defined what secular is, @TERNGU thanks.
    First i think when it comes to Secular and Christian music, the content matters; by content i mean what are the lyrics saying and what does the artist stand for,why ? because most songs are quite opinionated, so it would be quite unfair to say which is good or bad based on the songs you listen to, and also the term "good" is relative,what could be good to me,may be not be good to another person. As for me, if the content speaks to me and resonates with in me but doesnt destroy my person, then we are good. Secondly, I believe music is quite powerful in the way it influences the life of the listener and also in its ability to change the environment of the listener as well. In that regard, i would say whenever anyone listens to a song, how does it influence you? , what imprint does it leave on your mind? and lastly what environment do you want to create with the songs you listen to, do you want a peaceful,chill, inspiring environment or do you want a noisy environment? the choice is yours. Here is my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "good is relative".. that's right. We thank God for the gift of choice and at the same time we pray we always make the choice that will make Him happy. You've said everything to be honest and like terngu said, it boils down to the spirit that lives in you and your relationship with God.

      Delete
  4. Terngu and Dr Remedie have "said it all".
    As regards movies/series, I recall an occasion where I had to stop watching a series (that my friends were also watching) because I felt the Lord nudge me about it. It pained me oh...I most probably told God about the pain (and I can't remember if I even asked them about what was going on in it).
    In all these things what comes to mind is: whatsoever things are...true, pure...think on it.
    I'll stop here before I write a whole blog post.
    (oh and this is a 'I too must comment by force' comment...because I don't want you to talk to yourself...you deserve an audience, and you even have one already!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. loool at whole blog post. you should write a guest post you know! waiting for it.:D and yup Phil 4:8 thanks for commenting :*

      Delete

You know I'd love to hear from you. Please comment. Mwah

Footer