I've Identified The Problem, NOW WHAT?

3:05:00 PM


Back at it with TMNS, I've had this in my draft for over a year! Can you believe that? As much as this post is for my readers, I'm also writing it for me. So many times we struggle with solving a problem, eventually give up and adjust to it. The ideal scenario is to eliminate the problem and over time, I've come to realize that some things are better tackled with immediate effect than stalling. Have you ever had a problem you tried to solve and when it got impossible to solve, you didn't give up per say, but procrastinated the time you'd devote to solving the said problem? I should actually write a post on procrastination but first, let's talk about this current topic, Solving a Problem. They say the first step to solving a problem is to identify the problem but they did not give the remaining steps *insert angry face*

A problem is something that brings you discomfort/worry, and yes it could be someone too.  The quickest way to solve a problem is to cut the problem from you but quick is relative. An example of a problem for me will be overthinking. Before I continue, if your problem is an addiction, please read this Ask Dedun post, Overcoming an Addiction. Over thinking usually complicates the simplest thoughts and in return, creates a problem. How am I tackling it?


  • First thing I did was to accept that I overthink. Most times we are in denial of the problems we are currently facing and instead of accepting them, we turn blind eyes and act like they aren't present. Sometimes it's hard to accept the presence of some difficulties in our lives. It will help if you accept the problem because it's only when you accept that you'd be able to take measures to solve it. 
  • How and why did it become a problem? I realized it became a problem when instead of acting on the issue at hand, I contemplate for centuries, how to go about it. Wasting so much time to solve an issue will eventually become a bigger problem and the cycle continues. You continue to think of ways to solve it instead of going right in to solve it. 
  • Create realistic plan to solve the problem: Honestly, you might be thinking how do you create a plan to solve a problem like overthinking? Well, my realistic plan is to always handle a problem as an urgent thing to take care of. These days, I rarely overthink even though once in a while, when I'm bored, I sink into my thoughts but most times, I avoid wasting time to think. Once you think of all your problems as something that needs to be solved urgently, it helps by not giving it more time to cause more damage. So yes, if your problem is a human being, solve it urgently before sh** hits the fan and if it's a radical approach, cut the person off and save yourself the headache. 
  • Act on the plan: I already mentioned in the above point how to act on a plan. You have to take action to solve a problem. Your plan will only sit in your head if you don't act on it. I know sometimes acting on a plan can be hard but if the radical approach is too sudden for you, wean yourself off the problem slowly and eventually, you will be done with it. 
  • Avoid the re-occurence of the same problem: What's the point of solving a problem if you are still going to make the same mistakes that will lead to the same problem you already solved? Make conscious effort to avoid that same problem. If you know a particular way you do things only lead to creation of problems, avoid that route and try another way. 
  • And just like an addiction, you have to be accountable to yourself: Before you also become a problem (especially with the way you handle things), evaluate and stay accountable to yourself. If you don't keep track of your problems and how you've solved some in the past, you won't remember how to solve a similar problem if it ever arises. 

We are all problem solvers, don't let one problem dwell for too long. Whether it's financial/educational problem or behavioral etc, handle with urgent care before it becomes a part of you/your identity or a bigger problem. 

Love,
Dedun

You Might Also Like

0 comments

You know I'd love to hear from you. Please comment. Mwah

Footer