Pep Talk: Core Values

10:18:00 AM


Before I start today's topic, I will like to apologize for my absence. I know y'all see me as superwoman but sometimes I have to drop the cape and accept I can't always multitask. The reason why I was absent was for lack of better word, writer's block. I'm a spontaneous writer and because I was so busy with Dedun's Cakes, I didn't have to time to think of blog content or even sit down to type. I've also started my Msc and that alone with the tests I have to take every week is adding to the stress. Please forgive me if I don't post regularly as I used to but if you want to be a content writer for the blog, you can contact me.

On my way to Nigeria last month, I read the in-flight magazine and one article that caught my eye was on Core Values. I can't remember vividly the writer's core values but I will write mine and maybe they will answer all the questions I've been asked these past weeks. First of, what are core values? Core values are personal beliefs unique to an individual. Your core values define you and if you stay true to them, the person you are/will become will revolve around that core. It is of high importance that these core values are positives according to the law governing the world because if they are negative, it only means you are a negative person, pretty simple. I believe when you know what your core values are, you will fight to keep that core intact since they keep you going in life.

Below are my top five core values..

  • My faith: I've been a Christian since I knew what a church was even though I was born into a Muslim-ish family. Thing is nothing was defined, my mum was born into a royal family (so trad/islam religion) and my dad is a Christian. I was never forced to pick one as only my dad practiced a religion actively but I grew up following my neighbors to church and I picked the Christian faith. After primary school, I was sent to a missionary boarding school and that was when my personal encounter with God started. After hearing/witnessing bizarre things happen, it wasn't difficult to be convinced that there's a higher power. To cut the long story short, I've always held my faith tightly because I knew who I am is based on that which I hold dear, my Father in heaven. Of course, revolving around your core will bring you the highs and lows but as long as you remain in the orbit, you won't lose your core connection (abeg physicist don't start with me o)
  • Honesty: I don't know how to lie because I believe I will always get caught. Anyone that knows me can testify to this. I crave honesty and I practice honesty hence why I detest being lied to/ liars. I stay away from people that lie to me, I mean I literally cut them off because I don't want to be affected negatively and cultivate the habit of lying. I stay true to this value by reminding myself anytime the option of lying comes up that "honesty is the best policy" 
  • Continuous learning: Until life stops, every lost second is a lost opportunity to learn, either continuous learning or learning something new. Never stop learning! I cherish learning so much and it has brought me this far too. My curiosity to learn and try something new got me to develop my hidden skills. I have a belief that everyone has talent(s), in different categories, but you will never know your talents and skills if you don't take that step to learn and try something new. The most common setbacks with this value is the fear of trying and taking risks. In my pursuit to learn, I specifically searched for conferences in Nigeria for the period I will be here, months before I even bought a ticket. The only risk I didn't take was to pay for the not free ones but what if I told you I forgot I registered for a conference and I only remembered when an email was sent the week before. This conference, Excellence in Leadership, was mind-blowing. I sacrificed money to leave my residential city, extra hours of sleep just so I can learn from people above me and boy did this sacrifice pay. What I'm trying to say here is that one has to keep learning as a bid to grow and sacrifices will have to be made. It's one of my values and if it's not yours yet, please consider it and add it to your list. 
  • Excellence: I'm a firm believer of "whatever you do, do it excellently well". (Please don't yimu and say I'm not doing the blog well) whatever you do excellently well will yield excellent result, it might take a short or long time but you will definitely reap what you sowed. 
  • Love: I know most of my friends say I'm not romantic but I don't think romance equals love. Love is a sacrifice and you have to sacrifice to get results.  If love is one of your core values, it will show in your friendships, relationships, work, education, your relations with strangers etc
Thanks for staying glued to the blog while I was away. I appreciate and please share the love with your friends. God's blessings

Love,
Dedun

You Might Also Like

0 comments

You know I'd love to hear from you. Please comment. Mwah

Footer